Restaurant Insurance

Restaurants have insurance needs that are fairly unique to them among all businesses. Because there are so many structural and liability issues involved in the food service industry, it’s especially important that restaurant owners speak at length with an independent insurance agent about their unique needs when it comes to insurance.

What Kind of Insurance Do Restaurants Need?

Depending on the type of restaurant you own or operate, there may be unique needs to consider when it comes to insurance. There are certain types of insurance that all businesses need – including restaurants, like these mentioned below.

  • Business Income Insurance/Loss of Income Insurance

  • Business Owner Policy

  • Crime Insurance

  • Flood Insurance (while this is something all restaurants need, restaurants in coastal areas or other areas that are prone to flooding especially need this valuable type of coverage)

  • General Liability

  • Property Insurance

  • Workers Compensation Insurance


In addition to these types of insurance coverage, though, restaurants also need specialized coverages that address issues that are unique to the restaurant and food service industry like these.

  • Equipment Breakdown Insurance

  • Fire/Smoke Damage

  • Food Contamination

  • Food Spoilage

  • Non-Owned Vehicle Liability (additional liability coverage on vehicles not owned by the business – useful in establishing an added layer of protection for accidents involving delivery drivers).


As you can see there is a long list of insurance coverage types that are fairly unique to the restaurant industry.

The term “restaurant” covers a lot of ground when it comes to business models. All of the businesses listed below qualify as restaurant and need some, if not all, of the insurance coverage types mentioned above.

  • Bars

  • Cafes

  • Cafeterias

  • Clubs

  • Delis

  • Diners

  • Food Trucks

  • Pubs

  • And more!


Whether your restaurant is a franchise restaurant, part of a small chain, or one of a kind, it’s important to make sure you protect your employees, your patrons, and your business with the right type and amount of insurance coverage.

Important Notice
Any submissions or payments made via this website do not constitute a binding agreement to your policy or coverage(s). Changes and payments to policies are not effective or binding until you, or any party involved, receive official notice from either your insurance agent, or your insurance company. 

No changes to policies are bound unless you speak to an agent
Associated Insurance Concepts Agency . 100 Route 37 East . Toms River, NJ 08753 
Please call us at 732-286-5100 during inclement weather, to make sure the office is open
Copyright © 2016 Equitas Brokerage Group

Phone: 1-732-286-5100 | Fax: 1-732-286-1550 | E-Mail us at:

Site designed and managed webEquity Insurance Marketing Platform By Equitas Brokerage Group